Phonics at Madginford
At Madginford we are passionate about reading and want to encourage all children to become fluent, confident readers who develop a love for reading! Reading can help children become independent life-long learners.
We use a synthetic phonics programme called 'Read, Write, Inc.' This programme is designed to ensure all children start reading and writing quickly.
What is Read Write Inc?
‘Read Write Inc’ is a phonics programme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary, and spelling. We start teaching the programme in EYFS and children continue discrete phonics lessons until the end of Year Two (our K.S.2 spelling scheme ‘Sounds and Syllables’ focuses on using phonics to develop spelling).
What will my child learn with Read Write Inc?
- Learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn how to blend sounds
- Learn to read using Fred Talk
- Learn to spell using Fred Fingers
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
How often will my child be taught phonics?
In EYFS, Year One and Year Two phonics sessions occur each day to progress children’s reading development. The children are based in groups according to their ability and these groups are continually re-evaluated.
For more information about ReadWriteInc please visit the website.